Multiple layer map

A place for your to showcase your projects and get feedback from the community. Post screenshots, videos etc of your work and show the world your awesome stuff!

Multiple layer map

Postby Miroku87 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Hey everyone!
I'm new to the engine and the forum and I hope someone will help me.

It's perfectly clear to me how to build an isometric tiled map, but now I'd like to add multiple layers and by this I mean places where an avatar can move higher than the ground.
I'll make an example: I have a town encircles by its walls and I want people moving both on the ground and on top of the walls.

How can I accomplish that?

I hope I've been clear. If not just tell me and I will try again maybe with visuals =P
Thank you!

Andrea
Miroku87

Re: Multiple layer map

Postby robaldred » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Hello, welcome. Firstly you've posted this in the wrong forum, it should be over in the help section. Anyway.

There is no multiple layers like you describe, you would have to do something quite manual. Maybe adjusting the entity z translation when on a tile that is a wall. Use the translateBy method. You could also scale the entity on the wall up slightly as technically they are closer to the camera. Doing this might make it seem more believable.
I don't work for Irrelon. All comments are my own.
I would strongly encourage anyone building production projects with Isogenic to buy a premium licence, it costs very little and will help towards continued development of the engine. Irrelon have spent thousands of hours developing this wonderful platform with many features found in AAA game engine.
robaldred

Postby Miroku87 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:15 am

I was sure I had posted this in the Help section!

Can someone please move it?

By the way.
How much would it cost on performance if I made two TileMap objects one over the other?

Thank you!
Miroku87

Postby robaldred » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:51 am

Depends how big they are. If you use sections it'll be fine on desktops but you'll likely run into memory issues on devices with limited memory like tablets and mobile phones.

The game I'm working on initially had a 100x100 tilemap which requires too much back store memory, so it would crash often on iPads.

I settled for a Max of 70x70 maps which work fine.
I don't work for Irrelon. All comments are my own.
I would strongly encourage anyone building production projects with Isogenic to buy a premium licence, it costs very little and will help towards continued development of the engine. Irrelon have spent thousands of hours developing this wonderful platform with many features found in AAA game engine.
robaldred

Return to Project Showcase