General Questions

Post your help queries and engine programming questions here

General Questions

Postby Siruker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi IGE Community,

Im pretty new to isogenic so i have few questions because API documentations and existing videos are not up to par with what this engine offers or do not explain it in enough details.
1. how to make non retangular tilemaps. it by default generates 3 by 3 grid but how should i make one that isn't retangular. Using multiple tilemaps?
2. How to make side textures so the tiles would look 3d Image like on this image the brown (dirt area).
3.How to make character stay on the grid besides using collision with solid tile. Stoping the player from going out of bounds like it does in example 13.6.

All the help will be appreciated.
Siruker

Re: General Questions

Postby rob » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi ya,

Tile maps are technically infinite. You provide the system with a single tile's dimensions and it then calculates where on the map to place things by simple maths.

You can visually see the grid that the tilemap has by setting the gridSize():

Code: Select all
self.tileMap1 = new IgeTileMap2d()
   .id('tileMap1')
   .depth(0)
   .tileWidth(40)
   .tileHeight(40)
   .gridSize(4, 3)
   .drawGrid(true)
   .mount(self.scene1);

In that example we set the grid size to 4 along the x axis and 3 along the y axis. The grid is not the size of the tilemap though since that is infinite, it is just the size of the grid you want the engine to render over the top of the tile map.

To your second question, tile maps are flat and do not render graphics in isometric. There are performance reasons for this including that the tile map tiles are not depth sorted which massively speeds up rendering among other things. You could mount edge graphics to the map by creating an entity for each edge tile giving the illusion of isometric.

Third question is basically a question about how you want your game mechanics to work. If you don't want to use physics when you have to limit your player's movement inside the player class tick method using a range check against the position of the player.
CEO & Lead Developer
Irrelon Software Limited
http://www.isogenicengine.com
rob
Site Admin

Re: General Questions

Postby Siruker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Okay that answers my questions. I guessed some of them just wasn't sure. Thank you for quick answer
Siruker

Return to Help & Questions