Tiled Layers and Performance Question

Post your help queries and engine programming questions here

Tiled Layers and Performance Question

Postby JudgeX » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:54 am

Using a couple megabytes worth of tile sheets and Tiled to make a game world...

How large can I comfortably make a map that has, let's say, 5 layers of 50x50 tiles? I guess I'm asking, "what's acceptable" for most people's browser/PC using Chrome to play? I've seen the 4 million tiles demo on youtube (which is awesome), but is there any wisdom available regarding an approximate "best practice" limit to loaded assets for a single continuous map comprised of multiple layers in isogenic?

I don't want to spend days making an awesome space station map and then find out I was aiming for something 3 or 4 times larger than what the average browser player couldn't load... if someone with some experience could give me an idea.

So yeah, any advice on this? If not, that's okay too, I'll just have to do a lot of testing but I'll report back with my results for anyone else curious.
JudgeX

Re: Tiled Layers and Performance Question

Postby robaldred » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 am

A lot of the youtube videos are quite old.

It's worth noting that you're unlikely to have any performance issue with TileMaps, because they are just a way to translate entities by tiles, instead of pixels.

The performance consideration is with TextureMaps these are the maps that say at tile 1,1 there's a piece of grass.
The TextureMaps contain texture information for each tile. Unfortunately at the moment it's not particularly efficient. The entire map is cached in sections in offscreen canvas even if the sections are not in view. This will eat a considerable amount of RAM on the GPU.

I'm working to improve this so ONLY the relevant sections are created and rendered, and destroyed when out of view. This is particularly important on low memory devices like tablets and phones.

To give you an idea of where the line might be, (im using 96x48 tiles)
On low memory devices with 256MB RAM I've run into problems with > 10,000 tiles
On mid memory devices with 512MB RAM I've run into problems with > 30,000 tiles

I've never experienced any issues on desktop. Although I've never built any maps bigger than 40,000 tiles (200 x 200)
I don't work for Irrelon. All comments are my own.
I would strongly encourage anyone building production projects with Isogenic to buy a premium licence, it costs very little and will help towards continued development of the engine. Irrelon have spent thousands of hours developing this wonderful platform with many features found in AAA game engine.
robaldred

Postby JudgeX » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 am

Thank you, that's exactly the kind of information I'd hoped to receive and it will help me guide my development process accordingly.
JudgeX

Postby Sandstedt » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 pm

robaldred wrote:The performance consideration is with TextureMaps these are the maps that say at tile 1,1 there's a piece of grass.
The TextureMaps contain texture information for each tile. Unfortunately at the moment it's not particularly efficient. The entire map is cached in sections in offscreen canvas even if the sections are not in view. This will eat a considerable amount of RAM on the GPU.

I'm working to improve this so ONLY the relevant sections are created and rendered, and destroyed when out of view. This is particularly important on low memory devices like tablets and phones.

What's the status on the TextureMaps performence problem? Would it be better to place 1000 single entities on a TileMap instead of using a TextureMap? And the using the
Code: Select all
.addComponent(IgeEntityManager)
to unmount entities not in view.
Sandstedt

Return to Help & Questions