General Questions

Post your help queries and engine programming questions here

General Questions

Postby paulstraw » Tue May 13, 2014 10:42 am

Hey everyone. I had a few questions that I sent to the Isogenic team via email a few days ago, but haven't heard back. I figured I might as well post them here and see if the community could help out.

I’ve been scouting out various game engines for quite a while to use in a project I’m working on. Isogenic definitely seems to be the best fit; I’ve been playing with the trial and love it.

I’m pretty much ready to pull the trigger on a purchase, but I was wondering if you could provide any more details on what all “comes” with a full license. Specifically the following stuff, but any info you can provide would be appreciated.

* What kind of new features and whatnot are in the licensed repo vs the trial one?
* The latest trial version is ~6 months old, have there been a lot of changes since then?
* How frequent do updates tend to be? Is there a roadmap for planned features?
* What's the best/sanest way to debug sever-side Box2D code on the client, to double-check fixture positions and such? I know about the `networkDebugMode`, but that doesn't seem to be rendering any additional debug info to the screen (though it does, as noted in the docs, prevent collisions from occurring).

Thanks! I'm looking forward to diving in to the fray.
paulstraw

Re: General Questions

Postby robaldred » Tue May 13, 2014 2:58 pm

hello,
This is definitely the best place to get support and advice because others can benefit from the answers.

* What kind of new features and whatnot are in the licensed repo vs the trial one?
* The latest trial version is ~6 months old, have there been a lot of changes since then?

The licence repo is up to date and gives you access to all the latest source code.
The majority of changes over the last 6 months have been around stability and performance optimisation.
The prototype version is feature complete as of 6 months ago, theres are a few larger chunks of work recently...
* box2d multi world support
* Inline editor
* some new examples
* entity overhaul
* stream rooms

* How frequent do updates tend to be? Is there a roadmap for planned features?

There are commits constantly from the IGE team and licence holders like myself, there's probably been over 400 commits since the prototype version was last updated.

* What's the best/sanest way to debug sever-side Box2D code on the client, to double-check fixture positions and such? I know about the `networkDebugMode`, but that doesn't seem to be rendering any additional debug info to the screen (though it does, as noted in the docs, prevent collisions from occurring).

networkDebugMode does not render anything, it add additional logging to the console.
To debug the server side component of your game you need to use the node debugger tools like you would on any other node app to insert breakpoints etc.
http://nodejs.org/api/debugger.html

Hope that helps,
I've been using the engine for over a year, I spent a long time looking at alternatives (I still do) and I must say it's possibly the most advanced, feature complete HTML5 canvas engine out there. None of the others I've looked at have isometric and AAA multiplayer capabilities like IGE has.

Good luck with your project, feel free to post threads if you need any further help or advice.
I don't work for Irrelon. All comments are my own.
I would strongly encourage anyone building production projects with Isogenic to buy a premium licence, it costs very little and will help towards continued development of the engine. Irrelon have spent thousands of hours developing this wonderful platform with many features found in AAA game engine.
robaldred

Postby paulstraw » Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Super helpful, thanks Rob. I just ordered a license, can't wait to get access.

With regards to the Box2D debugging, I mostly meant for visual debugging. My game has some fairly complex hitbox logic (which I'm using sensors for), but it's really difficult to check and tweak things since there doesn't seem to be a way to see fixtures on the client side.
paulstraw

Postby robaldred » Tue May 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Ahh I see.
Unfortunately there isn't a way to visualise the server side apparent from streaming the entities to a client.

I tend to work on physics client side first there you can use drawBounds to display aabb and ige.box2d.enableDebug(true) to give you the standard box2d debug overlays. Fixtures, bodies, joints etc.

Once you're happy with how its all working. Convert to server side. The great thing about the engine is the same classes run client & server side. Just wrap client or server specific code in their specific checks ige.isServer or ige.isClient

Multiplayer adds tons if complexity so its best to start off without that IMO.
I don't work for Irrelon. All comments are my own.
I would strongly encourage anyone building production projects with Isogenic to buy a premium licence, it costs very little and will help towards continued development of the engine. Irrelon have spent thousands of hours developing this wonderful platform with many features found in AAA game engine.
robaldred

Return to Help & Questions