Firewall problems

Post your help queries and engine programming questions here

Firewall problems

Postby bodhran » Sun May 11, 2014 10:20 am

Houston we have a big problem!

Since our multiplayer game is mostly used in schools, and since schools always have strict rules about firewall settings, we are facing the problem of most of the schools that cannot connect to our game server.

Also, they can't even change firewall settings so easily (in France, for example, they need the authorization of the Local Education Authority).

We released a first test version of our game during these days and Im still using the port 2000 (actually 2000 to 20xx as we run multiple server instances on multiple ports), as shown in the examples and documentation, but of course it doesn't look to work fine... :(

I thought to use, instead of port 2000, some more standard port (like the http 80 port), but we won't solve the problem of the multiple server instances. Also, our server has apache running on it, and we would have to move all .js code and graphics on another server.

How could we solve this problem? Any advice? Anyone had the same problem?
bodhran

Re: Firewall problems

Postby robaldred » Tue May 13, 2014 10:26 am

Hello.
I don't have the problem, I would always push for control over the firewall.
It's going to be quite painful without...

I do have a suggestion, If you have full control over the endpoint where your game server instances are running you can run multiple instances on port 80 with a unique IP address per instance and some routing trickery

This is a fairly technical process, good linux voodoo magic is required.
I'm going to assume here that you want say... 4 instances all accessible via port 80.

You will need the following:

1. Box running Linux (Ubuntu,Centos or whatever)
2. root access so you have make changes to networking and routing
3. 4 IP addresses, one for each game instance
eg. x.x.x.1, x.x.x.2, x.x.x.3 etc...
4. Setup aliases for the eth0 interface for those IP addresses
Code: Select all
#: ifconfig eth0:0 x.x.x.1 up
#: ifconfig eth0:1 x.x.x.2 up
# etc...

5. Setup pre routing to redirect packets to the IPs from port 80 to their game server instance.
Code: Select all
#: iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING --src 0/0 --dst x.x.x.1 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 4001
#: iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING --src 0/0 --dst x.x.x.2 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 4002
#: iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING --src 0/0 --dst x.x.x.3 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 4003
#: iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING --src 0/0 --dst x.x.x.4 -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 4004

this is untested but it should work

Hope that helps.
Rob
I don't work for Irrelon. All comments are my own.
I would strongly encourage anyone building production projects with Isogenic to buy a premium licence, it costs very little and will help towards continued development of the engine. Irrelon have spent thousands of hours developing this wonderful platform with many features found in AAA game engine.
robaldred

Postby bodhran » Tue May 13, 2014 11:18 am

thank you Rob! This is a very good starting point.

Do you think that I need to test websockets on port 80 on school clients before doing any change? :?

I found this, I wonder if it may be useful...
http://websocketstest.com/

-Max
bodhran

Postby robaldred » Tue May 13, 2014 11:24 am

If it's anything like schools here in the UK, they run old browsers like IE8.
It may not even have web socket support so certainly I'd so some testing first.
I don't work for Irrelon. All comments are my own.
I would strongly encourage anyone building production projects with Isogenic to buy a premium licence, it costs very little and will help towards continued development of the engine. Irrelon have spent thousands of hours developing this wonderful platform with many features found in AAA game engine.
robaldred

Return to Help & Questions