I ran into some issues with Chrome 13 and Socket.io 0.7.x so after a quick Googlywoogly it seems that Chrome is using a new websockets protocol in version 13 and 14. That’s cool, LearnBoost have already fixed the problem so I went to upgrade my Socket.io install with:
npm install socket.io
I get a load of complaints and a failure, something about tar. So some more googlywoogling and it turns out that because I’m using *crappy* CentOS the version of gnutar that’s installed is from 2004!!!! What?!?!?
OK OK, so I gave up with NPM coz I just couldn’t bother to download and install a new version of tar and did the install of Socket.io from the git repo then installed all the dependencies manually as well (which again required some more git repo cloning). After that I fired up Socket.io and STILL I get issues with websockets.
Hmm… so source code scouring and then some more woogles… either Node.js or http-proxy is having issues with detecting upgrades for websockets so I gave up and turned off websockets in Socket.io until the issue is fixed in Node.js (or http-proxy).
Using xhr-polling I’m STILL having problems. Seems to keep disconnecting and then reconnecting over and over, regardless of the heartbeat settings I specifiy in Socket.io. Oh god… I wanted to spend this evening actually MAKING stuff, not bug hunting!
After yet ANOTHER Google and I give up for tonight. Maybe it’s just me but I really felt like Socket.io 0.6.x was more stable and better engineered than this new version.